Home Articles FAQs XREF Games Software Instant Books BBS About FOLDOC RFCs Feedback Sitemap
irt.Org

BBS: Re: Chat Forums - Anyone help? - July 08, 1998 at 09:58:40

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Chat Forums - Anyone help? [This BBS is closed]

Posted by Tricia Newbre on July 08, 1998 at 09:58:40:

In Reply to: Re: Chat Forums - Anyone help? posted by Martin Webb on July 07, 1998 at 13:58:20:

: : I have just completed my first web-site, and I am now looking to develop it by adding a chat forum, which can only be accessed at particular times.

: : I haven't got a clue where to start, so I'm looking for a site which gives the basic program code which I can cut and paste.

: : Any help would be gfreatly appreciated!

: You'll need something on the server side to run chat, either Java, CGI or perhaps Server Side JavaScript.

: IIRC there was a chat program on offer by developer.com a while back.

: Failing that I suspect that Matts CGI archive might hold something of interest.

Depending on what OS your server is running, I'd suggest either FreeChat by Bill Kendrick (http://zippy.sonoma.edu/kendrick/nbs/unix/www/freechat/) if your on a server running UNIX. If your on an NT machine, and only want a small chat room (for friends or family or whatever) go with KeepTalking (www.keeptalking.com) There's a free 10 user demo. Although FreeChat (freeware - so you can have as many users as you want!) now has an NT version, but I haven't used it.
The downside to either of these programs, you have to at least be able to compile and run your own cgi's (for FreeChat). For KeepTalking, the sysadmin has to install it for you. If you don't have cgi permissions, your best alternative would be a java chat room - all people need to access it is a java-enabled browser, which are pretty standard now, and Sun is putting out a patch to allow older machines (running Win 3.x) to be able to run Java also.
Good Luck.
Tricia Newbre

Follow-ups:

You are here: irt.org | BBS | Re: Chat Forums - Anyone help? [This BBS is closed]

©2018 Martin Webb