Posted by Janus Boye on June 09, 1998 at 05:27:05:
The people behind WinZIP, the popular compression tool for Windows, are looking for WinZIP 2.2 beta-testers, and apparently anyone is invited.
WinZIP 2.2, now in beta, offers the following new features:
* Self-extracting files can span multiple removable disks.
* 32-bit Self-Extractors for Software Installation can run most standard Microsoft-format .INF files as an alternative to "setup" programs.
* Self-Extracting files can open any file using the application associated with that file on the end-user's machine.
* Self-Extracting files can display simple "splash screens" with text and buttons (OK, OK/Cancel, or Yes/No).
* 32-bit Standard Self-Extractors include a Browse button so users can easily select an "unzip to" folder.
* Improved user interface and customization facilities when creating self-extracting zip files.
If you'd like to test the new version of WinZIP and don't mind a walk on the wild side, check out the WinZip Self-Extractor 2.2 BETA page at: